Notice to the Reader

Copyright NoticeAll fiction and poetry are the y use of the works are prohibited without permission. However, sharing or linking of post is acceptable, and my heart's greatest desire, providing you create a link back to: http://debralecomptepoetry.blogspot.com
Thank you so much for coming to my page! Communication whether spoken, written, signed, or expressed in the art forms, is the essence of the human existence.

All fiction and poetry are the sole copyright Debra LeCompte. Any use of the works are prohibited without permission. However, sharing or linking of post is acceptable, and my heart's greatest desire, providing you create a link back to: http://debralecomptepoetry.blogspot.com
Thank you so much for coming to my page! Communication whether spoken, written, signed, or expressed in the art forms, is the essence of the human existence.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Gabby's Poem

I have the most beautiful grand-daughters.  One of them wanted to write a 
poem, and she asked for my help.  I love Gabby's poem.

 Gabby and her mom Beth.

                                                

 Samantha, Gabby's older sister.

Gabby's Poem  
 
Sometimes even a Soldier needs a quiet place to rest,
When he has worked hard and given his best.

Their children at home offer prayers to God above.
Asking Him to send His protection on wings like a dove.

God hears and answers their sweet prayers.
When their petitions are lifted for the fathers who dare.

To face evil enemies who against our country make war.
Freedom and liberty are what they are standing for.

They ask the Heavenly Father their mom or dad to defend,
As the struggle goes on to make the fighting end. 


Two of my grand-daughters are from a military back-ground, including Gabby and her older sister Samantha.Their mother was a Soldier for eight years, and she now works in the civilian side for the Army Corps of  Engineers. Their father will shortly retire with 20 years of service.  The girls just returned last June from living in Germany as their father served the country there in the military, and their mother served in the civilian sector. Their uncle was seriously wounded in Iraq in 2003. Another uncle worked in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a contracted electrician. My husband served 30 years.  Their dad deployed five times during the last 12 years, and will shortly deploy again.  The stress and strain of the last 12 years has led to the dissolving of the marriage of their parents.  I will never forget what Samantha said when she was four, and her dad deployed for the first time.  We were riding in the car to Walmart.  She and her cousin were in the back seat, and had grown quiet.  Sam asked, "Nana, does the enemy have families too?"  I felt my heart catch... and I knew I had to answer honestly.  I told her that probably some of them did.  There was a pause, then she asked, "Nana, if my daddy kills their daddy, who will take care of them?"  I took a very long time to answer, as I was praying... Finally I answered, "We will have to let God take care of them..."
 


Gabby with her dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment